Senior Front-End Engineer
Adjacent is a nimble design studio born in Syracuse, NY. Our small yet determined team finds our focus creating websites, design systems, web apps, and brand identities. Since 2012, we’ve partnered with everyone from small startups to global brands in pursuit of impactful, tailored experiences.
Honestly, we love this gig and what it provides for us and our families. Working at Adjacent means you’ll have the daily opportunity to make visible and meaningful contributions. You’ll help shape who we are and the projects we work on. We love every excuse to celebrate — often with donuts — and we champion having flexible schedules that accommodate all of life’s priorities.
Adjacent provides an intentionally inclusive, safe environment for our teammates, and we highly encourage BIPOC candidates to apply.
We’re looking for a trustworthy, senior front-end engineer who cares about their work: how it’s presented, who can use it, and what kind of foundation it sets to build upon. This person is driven to learn and has an awareness of modern frameworks and techniques. If that sounds like you, we’d love to talk.
You will work closely with not only the internal team at Adjacent but also with specialists and client teams we collaborate with to plan and create solutions that serve our clients. You will help craft high-quality, well-tested websites and applications that are accessible to as many people as possible. Responsibilities may include building out (updating existing) components, interactivity, animation, dynamically loading content or implementing third-party libraries. Central to many of our projects are Gulp- or Grunt-based build and deploy processes, so you will occasionally maintain or update these configurations to adapt to new scenarios.
- 5+ years building front-end or interactive software
- Familiarity or experience configuring gulp, grunt, webpack and/or other build systems
- Experience managing dependencies via npm
- Strong understanding of semantic HTML5 markup
- Experience with Sass (or other CSS preprocessors)
- Ability to create flexible, responsive HTML/CSS from design mockups or wireframes
- At least some experience with git or other version control systems
- Experience with motion and interaction
- Attention to design detail
Other Responsibilities and Bonus Qualifications
- Familiarity with Vue.js, React, jQuery, or other JS frameworks and utilities
- Experience or knowledge of BEM, SMACSS, OOCSS or other CSS naming conventions
- Understanding of accessibility best practices (ARIA roles/labels, tab order, alt text, etc.)
- Experience working with Design Systems
- Experience with WordPress and/or PHP
- UI/UX design experience or awareness
Benefits and Perks
- Local, remote or hybrid work options
- Competitive Salary
- Paid time off and standard company holidays
- Parental Leave
- Health & Dental Insurance
- Retirement Plan
- Flexible Schedule
- Small team atmosphere with big clients and exciting projects
- Conference & learning stipend
- Equipment & home office stipend